Re: m68k arch/cpu directives

Hello.

I noticed a change when switching from m68k GCC 4.6.x to 4.7.1.

- In GCC 4.6, when using -m68000 on the gcc command line, it is kept as -m68000 on the as command line.

- In GCC 4.7, when using -m68000 on the gcc command line, it is translated to -mcpu=68000 on the as command line.

There is a subtle difference.
On the as command line, it seems that -m68000 sets both the architecture and cpu, while -mcpu=68000 sets only the CPU, keeping the default architecture. This can cause different behavior when .cpu and/or .arch are used at the top of .s files.

I wonder if that is a GCC bug or feature.
In order to answer that question, first I need to deeply understand the semantics of .cpu and .arch, and the relationship to the command line options.

Ultimately, I want to determine what to put a the top of my .s source files to do the right thing, regardless of the cpu/arch options passed on the command line. And maybe report a bug to the GCC team, if we consider there was a regression.

Any hint in that area will be welcome.

Regards,

--
Vincent Rivière