Re: RFC: Generating per-function DWARF line number sections

Hi Alan,
Is it worth supporting the old style of grouping by name?

Umm, I am not quite sure what you mean here.  Can you provide an example ?

 Why not just support ELF section groups?

This is the long term solution. It is a more invasive change however - requiring the cooperation of gcc as well as gas and ld. But, free time willing, this is the way that I intend to go.

 Using names leads to eg. your
_bfd_elf_gc_mark_extra_sections change which is quadratic in number of
sections..

Right - the current patch is not ideal, and I did consider constructing lists instead of the quadratic scan. But that is more complex, and I wanted to keep things simple for this first iteration of the patch, If it turns out that this scan is significant slow down for the linker then I can always come back and recode the loop later.

Also, why do this in gas?  It seems to me that this sort of change
belongs in gcc.

Because the .debug_line section for most ELF-based targets is now constructed by gas not gcc. Gcc emits .loc directives and gas converts them into .debug_line entries.