Re: RFC: Support link with mixed IR/non-IR objects

Alan> I've been saying this for a long time, but I'll try once more.  It
Alan> would be a good thing if the kernel build stopped using ld -r.  ld -r
Alan> is not the right tool for packaging object files.  You get the
Alan> following undesirable behaviour from ld -r:

I'm not sure whether this is relevant to the current discussion, there
were some threads (and patch) some years ago about moving the kernel to
use ET_DYN modules instead, e.g.:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2002/11/23/59
https://lkml.org/lkml/2002/11/15/94

I wonder what happened to this.