RPATH vs RUNPATH

The ld.so man page says that using RPATH is deprecated, but ld.bfd and
ld.gold both still default to creating DT_RPATH tags.

Are there any plans in the foreseeable future to switch the default to
--enable-new-dtags, or even to change to creating only RUNPATH tags
only rather than both RPATH and RUNPATH?

I'm hoping the answer to the latter is no, in which case the answer to
the former is less important as long as --disable-new-dtags is
available and ld.so continues to honour RPATH, which I assume it must
do to support millions of existing binaries.

I'm not looking for a guarantee nothing will ever change, but couldn't
find any discussion or hint of just how deprecated RPATH is and
whether the toolchain will start making it harder to use.

Thanks.