Re: .asciz - implementation or documentation wrong?

On 06.07.11 09:41, Jan Beulich wrote:

> >    .data
> >    .asciz   "AAAA", "BBBB"
> >    .asciz   "CCCC"  "DDDD"
>
> This line ought to be rejected according to the documentation.

Strictly, yes.

[...]

> > The introduction of Awk-like string concatenation syntax
> > seems cute, but doesn't achieve anything that can't be done by eliding
> > the two quotes and space to begin with.
>
> Eliding the quotes may not be possible - just consider the case of
> passing a .S file through a C pre-processor, and the intended string
> consisting of multiple pieces, some or all of which are pre-processor
> constants.

Ah-ah, that's a useful new capability, which trumps an undocumented
syntax tolerance (which should only ever have been invoked accidentally
anyway), I think. Even if any half-decent pre-processor ought to be able
to concatenate component substrings when it is building a single
NUL-terminated one, this would simplify and speed up the task.

Thanks for explaining the change.

Erik

--
The ultimate barrier is one's viewpoint.
      - Terry Pratchett, "The Dark Side of the Sun"