PE32/PE32+ linking of DLLs (and EFI applications)

How do ld-linked DLLs work when there don't seem to be any base
relocations getting emitted? While imo for DLLs this should be the
default anyway, is there a magic switch that I'm overlooking? EFI
applications also require relocations to be emitted...

While the hack called "dlltool" isn't really an option anyway, it's not
even possible to use it as the file generated with --base-file is empty
(I assume because data gets written to it only for COFF input files,
but on Linux all of the inputs are [obviously] ELF).

Thanks, Jan