Re: Relative expressions and ASSERT

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 06:48:51AM +0000, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>  Is that intended behaviour?  From your update to the manual I infer
> otherwise and it looks to me like a mishandled case that slipped through,
> but perhaps I'm missing something.  Either way I find it plain wrong that
> a difference of two symbols (both coming from/relative to the same
> section) yields a plain number in GAS, but not in an LD script.  Hmm...

ld actually does follow the current ld.texinfo description.  The two
symbols are in the same section, so the operation (subtraction in this
case) is performed on their offsets, yielding a result in the same
section.

Admittedly, this does lead to an odd result.  Should we special case
subtraction?  Exclusive or too?

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM