Re: time to be serious about dropping CVS

Pascal> Just to note that Git has support for partial checkout.

Nice -- new in 1.7:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-read-tree.html#_sparse_checkout

Pascal> As it is a common misconception I'd like to mention that Git
Pascal> support /partial checkout/ and NOT /partial fetch/. That is, the
Pascal> whole repository is fetched and you can just checkout the part
Pascal> that you want to work on. This is hardly a problem as the
Pascal> network support in Git is very efficient.

Perhaps some people will be concerned about the disk space.
(Though I am not.)

I looked through CVSROOT/modules a little.  I think it would be good if
we could split some of the modules off into their own repositories.
However, I don't know what in there is active or even what projects
would not mind being split off.

Tom