Re: ambiguity of ld manual regarding to -L option!!

ali hagigat <hagigatali@gmail.com> writes:

> -L searchdir
> --library-path=searchdir
> The paths can also be specified in a link script with the SEARCH_DIR command.
> Directories specified this way are searched at the point in which the
> linker script appears in the command line.
> I have copied part of ld manual...
> Can anyone give an example of how to specify a path for -L by a link script?

SEARCH_DIR(my/dir/ectory)

> When we use -L , we add some paths for search of ld command to find
> libraries and link scripts. But what does 'search at the point' mean?
> When 'searchdir' is specified by a link script, those paths should be
> considered for the whole session of ld, so why the position of link
> script is important? and if it is important how those paths are
> considered?

The position of the linker script is relevant because the order in which
the linker searches -L options is relevant.  If a file exists in more
than one directory mentioned in a -L option, the order of the -L options
determines which file is used.

Ian