binutils 2.20.1 on irix 6.5.22 _rld_new_interface question

Running binutils 2.20.1 on irix 6.5.22 with great success, moreso then native Irix ld in fact.

However I have come across one bug that I am scratching my head over how to fix.

Irix has no "dladdr" funtion, instead they tell you to call _rld_new_interface with certain parameters and it will do the same things. The problem is that _rld_new_interface is a special symbol that is within the runtime linker and not in any library.

There is some special handling in bfd/elfxx-mips.c for this already, that ammounts to basically ignoring the symble. This works fine for the 99% of applications that don't acually use the symbol (and allows things to link with libc).. However for programs that DO use it, a undef symbol needs to be inserted into the symbol table as a placeholder. Like _I THINK_
is done with __rld_obj_head. I have tried duplicating the part of the code that adds __rld_obj_head without success; (modifiying it to set BSF_FUNCTION and ST_FUNC).. I am obviously just stabbing in the dark here and I hope someone could help me out.. I have some symbol tables listed below:

Symbols from /lib32/libc.so.1:

[Index] Value Size Type Bind Other Shndx Name

[6243] | 0| 0|FUNC |GLOB |DEFAULT |UNDEF |_rld_new_interface

dso_dlfcn (when linked with Irix ld)

[46] | 268438512| 0|FUNC |GLOB |DEFAULT |UNDEF |_rld_new_interface

dso_dlfcn.o (when compiled with Irix cc)

[6] | 0| 0|FUNC |GLOB |DEFAULT |UNDEF |_rld_new_interface

dso_dlfcn.o (when compiled with gcc)

[11] | 0| 0|OBJT |GLOB |DEFAULT |UNDEF |_rld_new_interface

The 'OBJT' type is slightly disturbing, but it matches other functions, so I won't worry too much there. :)

Ideas, suggestions?

--
David E. Cross