Re: Contribute Target Question

On 02/09/2010 20:31, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Dave Korn wrote:
>>  You should probably talk to
>> the two existing AVR maintainers listed in the file src/binutils/MAINTAINERS
>> (Denis Chertykov and Marek Michalkiewicz) and co-ordinate with them, because
>> it's possible some of what's in AVR's patches already exists in the mainline
>> binutils source; I wouldn't know.
>
> i think the existing work is the 8bit/16bit micro-controllers (avr-*)
> ?  my (limited) understanding of avr32-* is that it is vastly
> different.  i'm not sure they share much other than name :).
> -mike

  Thanks for that info Mike.  That definitely does mean that it's important
that Wes could volunteer some reasonably long-term commitment to maintain the
target.

  Wes, it's not a huge burden; binutils is a fairly stable infrastructure, so
stuff that works tends to keep working; the main commitments are monitoring
the mailing list for problems related to your target when they crop up, and
occasionally fixing up old bits of code that don't play nicely with newer
(stricter vs. pre/early-ansi C) versions of GCC.

    cheers,
      DaveK