Re: Contribute Target Question

On 02/09/2010 00:36, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 10:48:07PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 01/09/2010 16:02, Alan Modra wrote:
>>> You can't really contribute work done by someone else unless you have
>>> their permission.  More than that, you'll need to satisfy the FSF
>>> lawyers.  That means finding all the authors of the patches and having
>>> them, and Atmel, go through the normal FSF copyright assignment
>>> process.
>>   The assignments list on fencepost suggests that Atmel have a corporate assign:
>>
>>> GCC, GDB, GLIBC Atmel Corporation       2009-10-23
>>> Assigns Past and Future Changes in items listed on Attachement A (see document)
>
> That's nice to see.  One of the hurdles may already be passed.
>
>>   If I've understood that right (I have no idea where to find 'attachment a'),
>> it means that anyone (with an assign of their own) could port them up to HEAD
>> and submit, no?
>
> I doubt it, but I'm not interested in wasting my time and everyone
> else's time offering my useless opinion on a legal matter.
>
> See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html and
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Copyright-Papers

  Fair enough.  I'll verify it with fsf-records, but I reckon it's a good
enough bet that it would be worth Weston's effort to get started with doing
his own assignment paperwork and preparing the patches.

  Wes, is there any problem on your end why you can't sign a copyright
assignment and (if needed) get an employer disclaimer?  (Please don't post any
patches to the list until this is done, we can't use them without it.)  Also,
and possibly even more importantly: can you stick around once you've
contributed this target, and help maintain it?  You should probably talk to
the two existing AVR maintainers listed in the file src/binutils/MAINTAINERS
(Denis Chertykov and Marek Michalkiewicz) and co-ordinate with them, because
it's possible some of what's in AVR's patches already exists in the mainline
binutils source; I wouldn't know.

    cheers,
      DaveK