Re: ld for VMS?

On Apr 22, 2010, at 5:27 PM, Jay K wrote:

> Awesome!
> "Partly" as in?

So, partially.  This is still work in progress.  But I am able to link and run large programs (such as gcc).

> I can do without shared objects, for one thing, at least for now.
> I can try trunk.

Use of shared objects work.  But ld can't currently generate shared images.

> gcc 4.5 seems to largely work for Alpha/vms "out of the box".
>   At least to output assembly, I think for GNU as. (which I had already built/installed, so configure found it).

Right.

> My larger goal is to cross build: gcc, bash, sed, awk, make, etc. enough so that I can build gcc natively, at least cc1.

Well, you'd better to forget that.  If you want a native gcc, you'd better to build it via a cross compiler.

We did native builds of gcc, but it requires a lot of adjustments in the scripts.  Tedious work.

Tristan.