Re: [Patch] add support for alpha/vms archives

Douglas B Rupp wrote:
Tristan Gingold wrote:

Also, although not often used, an object file can contain more than one object module.
Interesting. How can such an object file be built ?
I know that DEC Fortran did this, I know you can just concatenate object files with the append command.

Ah ok. I think we won't support this now...

A multiple module object file inserted into an archive doesn't remain so does it?

The members in the VMS object library are modules, not files. Multiple modules in one file end up as multiple members in the library. A file with multiple modules differs from a library in that you need to read the symbol table from each module where the library has an additional symbol table for all modules.

Hartmut