Re: [Patch] add support for alpha/vms archives

Tristan Gingold wrote:

Is it a question for me or for Hartmut ?

Consider it re-directed to Hartmut.

I think we need to be imaginative to support multiple module object file in binutils. This is a concept that is very far from unix stuff. Maybe it could be represented as an archive, but without a specific header it would be hard to support it efficiently.

No, I'm saying maybe it's trivial to support in ar, just iterate through the modules and put them in the archive as if they came from separate files. Same for the readers (nm, objdump, etc). We don't need to make binutils generate such objects.