Re: [Patch] add support for alpha/vms archives

Tristan Gingold wrote:
Hartmut,

please do be too picky, as this is a first implementation that will be improved.  I plan to submit my new
version of the alpha vms back-end and archives were part of that.  I also plan to support ia64.
Tristan,
I didn't want to appear picky at all. I just scanned the submitted sources and some things came to mind.

Also, although not often used, an object file can contain more than one object module.

Interesting. How can such an object file be built ?
I know that DEC Fortran did this, I know you can just concatenate object files with the append command.

The purpose of this is to be able to handle text libraries.  That useful to read header or help files on
unix.
I think I understand, but the text libraries seem to handled the same as archives. Maybe nobody tries nm or objdump on them.

Hartmut