Re: objcopy --strip-debug breaks GROUP sections

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen <eirik@opera.com> writes:

> Using binutils 2.20, I find that running objcopy --strip-debug generates
> "invalid" GROUP sections.  ("invalid" in the sense that ar complains and
> the linker fails...  I haven't checked any specifications.)
>

> It seems that what happens is that when sections are removed from the
> object file, any references to that section within GROUP sections are
> set to 0.
[...]
> So my immediate question is: Where in the code is the output GROUP
> section data generated?  Or, in other words, what do I change to make
> objcopy not output the null references?
>
> eirik

Changing bfd_elf_set_group_contents() to shrink sh_size and skip the
sections that will not be output seems to solve the problem.  Does
anyone think that this is something I should try to clean up and submit
a patch for?  Or am I doing something completely wrong?

(I haven't been able to fully test this yet, as I now have problems with
the .arm_vfe_vcallinfoi.* sections, I believe.  Probably objcopy doesn't
renumber the section references in those sections.)

eirik