Re: bfd_get_relocated_section_contents on hppa and ia64

Hi Camm,

We have a macosx patch contributed a long time ago which I'd greatly
appreciate merging or removing.

Can you point me at this in the mail archive - I will have a look at it. (I am terribly behind in answering emails - sorry!)

We have mips, mipsel, and alpha modifications which only require one
change to the bfd tree, namely to make the howto struct non-constant,
so the special function can be altered.  We then use
sfaslbfd_{mips,alpha}.c from within GCL.  I'd be most happy to
contribute this code if you would consider using it and maintaining
it.

Please do so - if it is relatively simple then it is unlikely to pose a large maintenance burden and so there should not be any objections to it.

On ia64, hppa, the relocation algorithm terminates in the error shown,
which I will try to detail on bugzilla.  I don't believe this is a
programming error, rather this routine was never written for these
cpu's because it is never used by the linker.  This is my
understanding only.

Fair enough. By the way are you aware that the readelf program has its own relocation processing code which is a lot simpler and might be more suitable for your application ? (Currently this code is not exported in a library but that could be changed).