Re: xc16x-elf-as: relocation overflow

Hi Conny,

I am getting the following error:

$ xc16x-elf-as regex.S
regex.S: Assembler messages:
regex.S:21606: Error: relocation overflow

What does the error mean? Is the size of the '_xre_search' segment to big?
Can I adapt 'xc16x-elf-as' that it can handle it?

Quite possibly. Please could you open a bug report here:

http://sourceware.org/bugzilla

If you can include the regex.S testcase that will help a great deal.

> Can I adapt 'xc16x-elf-as' that it can handle it?

I doubt it, but you may be able to change the regex.S source file to accommodate the restricted address space of the xc16x.

could it be that the 'reloc_howto_type' isn't correct defined?

It looks OK to me.

Can someone explain the structure?

The fields are documented in the bfd/reloc.c source file.

And maybe give me an example how to fill in the structure?

The best way is to look at how the structure is used by other ports.