Re: Abort in elflink.c: elf_link_check_versioned_symbol

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 11:10 +0100, Ramana Radhakrishnan wrote:

> Shouldn't this be an error condition for an undefined symbol instead
> of
> an abort as here ? While fixing this will not  fix the underlying
> problem my colleague faces, surely the linker should at this point
> give
> an error for an undefined reference and bail out gracefully rather
> than
> aborting.

When I say this, I assume that the actual interface also needs to be
defined along with the versioned symbol in the symbol table i.e you need
sym and sym@@VERS defined in the symbol table.

If OTOH this isn't the case , then the abort appears wrong to me and
removing the abort builds the application for me .

I'm not sure about the correct fix here and haven't looked at symbol
versioning issues before, so some advice from folks more knowledgeable
about why the assert is there in the first place would be useful to
understand.

cheers
Ramana