thin archive issues

Cary,

having looked a little at how your thin archives extension could be made use
of, I'm seeing some issues with the file name handling: If the archive sits
in (or below) a directory reached through a symlink, but the referenced
objects and/or archives don't, the archive gets created without errors or
warnings, but

- objdump fails with a misleading error message (saying the thin archive file
  couldn't be opened)
- ld silently ignores all the inaccessible members (particularly a problem when
  building shared libraries without getting warnings about symbols remaining
  undefined)

While I so far have no idea how to fully consistently handle the path name
issue (a partial approach might be to internally resolve the intermediate ..
entries created during archive creation, but that still has weaknesses), I'd
think the above two resulting issues should be fixed in any case.

Thanks for your opinion (or rationale why things need to be the way they
are).

Jan