Re: [RFC]: .eh_frame section in mingw32 executables

>   Can you explain what it does, how it does it and why in a bit more detail
> please?  You're changing the behaviour of relocatable links to keep the
> .eh_data in its own section instead of merging it into .rdata, yes?

That's correct.

The idea is to preserve the .eh_frame data in its own section so that
the debugger can use it.  This is mostly for x86_64, where I'm struggling
with prologue instruction parsing in GDB in order to be able to unwind
from (optimized) routines in the GNAT runtime.  It's basically a lost
battle, as there are so many variations of that prologue when code starts
getting optimized (and also because disassembling x86_64 instruction
a-la-mano is a nightmare).  I think that, eventually, people will
want to have pdata/xdata support on x86_64, and we can also enhance
GDB to support that in the near future. But in the meantime, it would be
very convenient to have .eh_frame info available to make backtrace
computing much more solid on x86_64-windows.

Any reason why it would be bad to have that data in its own section
rather than being merged in .rdata?

--
Joel