Re: objdump for old ARM7TDMI (ARMv4T) showing instructions for newer architectures?!

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 15:00 +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> > Hello!  I care about the success of GNU very much
>
> Thanks very much for supporting the GNU Project.
>
> > and wanted some feedback on
> > what to do about a potential bug in objdump for ARM....
>
> The best thing to do is to file a bug report here:
>
>    http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/
>
> > I'm examining the output of "objdump -D --target=binary -m arm7tdmi" and seeing
> > instructions that do not exist on the ancient ARM7TDMI cores.
>
> > Is this a genuine bug or must I use different switches.

Presumably the code was compiled for some other CPU, if not, then the
bug is in the compiler/assembler that allowed such instructions to be
generated.

> It is a genuine bug.

I'd call it a mis-feature rather than a bug; but it would be nice to fix
it.

> Have a go with the attached patch and see if it fixes the problem for you.

I don't think this works for EABI targets.  They use the attributes
system to record the ISA version.

R.