Re: Linker version script turning weak symbols into strong symbols

Dave Korn wrote:

>   I'd better add a disclaimer here that the behaviour of the ELF runtime
> linker is at the edge of my knowledge, but if, as you say, symbol resolution
> has been run on test2 when it was loaded and will not be run again when test3
> is loaded yet you want test2 to know that a defintion of foo has now been made
> available, aren't you just going to have to dlsym() it?

(Thanks for your generous help on this issue so far... it's been good to
talk to someone who actually understands this stuff!)

No, if test2 is loaded before test3, we don't expect it to become aware
of test3 being loaded (and in the real world application of this, this
would only occur because the system admin has chosen not to *ever* load
test3). We just want test2 to be able to behave appropriately when test3
is not loaded, and I was hoping to be able to use these existing linker
mechanisms to implement that as opposed to building my own solution.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming@digium.com