Re: SVN for src, status?

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 04:48:06PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>> "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> writes:
>>
>>> How does git handle the key feature for src, sparse checkouts (a
>>> single repository from which you can check out just the parts
>>> relevant for binutils, or GDB, or ..., or everything,
>> FWIW, I used to think this sort of thing was a "key feature" too, but
>> when checkouts, commits, merges, and basically everything is so damn
>> fast, there is really no need for it.  (The mechanism by which current
>> src/configure limits the builds to whichever source trees actually
>> exist in the checkout would have to be changed.)
>
> FWIW, this is my feeling too.  I would *prefer* not to have to check
> out sid every time; but it's not going to break my heart if I have to,
> especially since git checkouts are much faster than CVS/SVN.

  Living in the industrialised west, I have reasonable amounts of drive space,
cpu cycles, and always-on connection bandwidth myself.

  But I am *sure* that others are not as lucky as I am, and I would want to
take great care to avoid any decision that might exclude *anyone* from
participation in our movement - particularly on grounds of access to wealth or
resources.

  This does not necessarily speak for or against one RCS system or another; to
me, it's a vitally important overarching policy concern, which technical
measures are there to implement.  Ease of participation is the lifeblood of
open source.

    cheers,
      DaveK