Re: PATCH: tidy documentation of ld command-line option syntax

Dave Korn wrote:
Sandra Loosemore wrote:
[...] While the
"--option=value" syntax is already discussed generally in the ld manual,
and many ld command-line options are already documented that way,
several others are not.  This patch fixes the documentation of those
remaining long options to consistently use the "--option=value" syntax.

I would have preferred if you didn't actually conceal the existence of the "--option value" form but just added the "--option=value" form where missing. That might be confusing to anyone who is familiar with standard getopt() behaviour. Did you consider and decide against doing it that way for some reason?

I just played a bit with listing *both* the "--option=value" and "--option value" forms of each command, as you suggest. I didn't really have any particular reason not to do that in the first place, but having looked at it, I think it adds a great deal of verbosity and repetitiveness to the documentation and does not actually make ld any easier to use. So I would not recommend that we do that.

I also note, BTW, that the manual is not consistent in using either "-ovalue" or "-o value" for single-letter options. IMO, the former is somewhat hard to read. How about if, as a compromise, I consistently formatted all single-letter options as "-o value", and all the long options as "--option=value"? I think listing all 4 possible format permutations for each command would be silly, anyway.

-Sandra