Re: ARM long branch stub: thumb

On 23.02.2009 05:36, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 03:15:50PM +0100, Christophe LYON wrote:
Here is an updated patch, using the veneer code provided by Paul.

I have also modified the Thumb -> Arm stub which also used to push registers on the stack.

This patch is OK. There are still things wrong with the stubs, but it fixes some and doesn't introduce new problems.

OK thanks.

FYI, we (CodeSourcery) need a version of the new stub code that works
on all our targets this week.  So I plan to review the output for as
many cases as I can think of on Monday.  We're also working on a patch
to put the stubs after input sections instead of before, as you and I
discussed last year.

I plan to give a look a the BE8 issues today.

 		  stub_type = (info->shared | globals->pic_veneer)
+		    /* PIC stub not yet supported on V4T.  */
 		    ? arm_stub_none

Am I correct that most (or all?) places this function returns arm_stub_none, we'll still generate out-of-range branches?

Yes, the linker should emit "relocation truncated to fit".
But I still have a few patches in the pipeline which will handle more cases :-)

Christophe.