Symbol values in memory word units

I am porting ld to new architecture. I would like to keep symbol values in the symbol table in memory words, not in bytes, as well as addends in relocation records. But, as I understand, linker expects section's vma and lma in byte units, so fix-ups will be performed incorrect, and final symbol table  also  will  be wrong.  Could you suggest me clean way to solve the problem, without  or with  minor changes in the  generic code?

Thanks a lot,
  Oleg