ld -l doesn't link with Open-MPI shared libraries

Hi All,

  I've posted this issue on Open-MPI mailing list a while ago but looks like no one there had experienced this problem. As the problem is related to an ld error I would like to kindly ask you guys for any insight you could give me.

  So I would like to build parf (http://www.irb.hr/en/cir/projects/info/parf/) with Open-MPI (http://www.open-mpi.org). On my Fedora Core 9 box I've used yum to install the latest Open-MPI and then executed makefile. But build failed on linker stage because ld couldn't find -lmpi_f90. Note that mpif90 wrapper openMPI provides adds -L parameter with lib directory where Open-MPI shared libraries (inlcuding libmpi_f90.so) are installed.

  As you can see I'm doing pretty straightforward thing that is supposed to work out of the box. I've also tried it on CentOS 5.2 and Fedora Core 6 machines to make sure this is not something OS-specifc. Fedora Core 6 was slow enough for me to do strace -f on make command. strace revealed that ld doesn't look for  libmpi_f90.so at all but instead looks for  libmpi_f90.a everywhere in library search path directories. That's despite manual page for ld  says that if system suport shared libraries it will attempt to link shared library before static one when searching for a library specified in -l parameter.

WBR Oleg V. Zhylin   ovz@yahoo.com