Re: Performance of ld on GFS (Global File System)

Hi Alan,

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:02:45PM +0200, Harald Anlauf wrote:
> > Operations like open and close are probably quite expensive.
>
> In that case you might want to tweak bfd/cache.c BFD_CACHE_MAX_OPEN.

I increased BFD_CACHE_MAX_OPEN from 10 to 100, which I presumed to
be large enough.  On GFS, system time and wall time for linking went down
between 30 to 40%, which is good, but still far from a factor 100 or so.  :-(
(The change was neutral on the system with local disk.)

(Empirically increasing BFD_CACHE_MAX_OPEN to 200 did not improve
things further.)

Anything else I can try?  Any other option that reduces the number of
filesystem related system calls may be helpful.

Cheers,
Harald