Re: Next release

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 11:38:19AM +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> Thank you again for these notes.
>
> One question about --enable-maintainer-mode:
> according to src/README-maintainer-mode,
>
> Note that if you configure with --enable-maintainer-mode, you will need
> special versions of automake, autoconf, libtool and gettext. You will
> find the sources for these in ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils.
>
> Is it still true ?  The tools on the ftp site date back from 2000.  Looks
> quiet old.

It's only partly true.

You do need particular versions of the tools, because you should use
the ones that match the source tree.  But they're not the ones from
that directory any more; for instance it is autoconf 2.59 now.

But I don't bother putting them in my PATH for this step; my system
tools are good enough to build, and I only check in changes to the
.pot files; I revert any regenerated configury bits (since we keep
them up to date in the repository with every commit).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery