GAS does not know what format to use for target z80-unkown-none

Hi

I'm trying to build a cross assembler that would be used on my laptop (x86_64, running Fedora Core 6) to build binaries to be run on a Z80.

At first I read the info pages, it said to use the "-z80" command line option with as, but that failed.

So I read some more, and it seemed likely that my stock as was not built to include support for the Z80? So I downloaded the latest source of binutils and proceeded to install a build that did support the Z80.

There are a great deal of docs on using binutils, but there seems to be very little on building it. The best I've been able to figure out is that when running ./configure, it needs either or both of --enable-targets=z80-unknown-none or --target=z80-unknown-none.

I've tried each separately and together. --enable-targets seems to have no effect. If --target is omitted, it will build but does not seem to have z80 support. If --target is included it will fail when trying to configure gas with the message:
GAS does not know what format to use for target z80-unknown-none

I did finally figure out that the format being referred to was the object file format to use. But this still leaves two questions:
A: How does one tell configure what format to use?
B: What is the format?

Possibly I'm missing something obvious?

Any help much appreciated.