Re: How to handle 64bits stabs ?

On Sep 3, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

Tristan Gingold <gingold@adacore.com> writes:

currently objdump -G (--stabs) can only display 32bits stabs.
However mach-o 64bits files have a 64bits
value field and therefore the output of objdump is bogus.

How to deal with that ?  Should we make bfd_get_arch_size working on
mach-o and use this function ?

You would have to restrict it to Mach-O. Other 64-bit targets continue to use 32-bit stabs, which is arguably incorrect but is a backward compatibility issue. So I think the right approach is going to be to add a new field to the bfd_target structure. That is a little painful since you will have to modify all the existing declarations, but the runtime cost will be low.

Ok.

My understanding is that Mach-O has switchd to DWARF anyhow.

Not completely.
Apple has (IMHO) a nice approach with debugging information. Dwarf is now used in
object files (like on ELF) but it is kept there. The executable doesn't contain dwarf debugging information
but only a list of object files (described in stabs). This reduce executable size and link time.

Tristan.