Re: RFC: Sort input section by list

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:42:47AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> I've done this before (at my previous employer); it includes getting gcc to dump its linker
>> script, then running a perl/sed script on it to add this and then finding a way
>> to get this linker script used. So far so good.
>> it just becomes impossible in an autoconf/automake/libtool world...
>> unless we do a gross hack and have an environment variable for such a lookaside linker script instead
>> (LD_SCRIPT_PREINCLUDE?).. that would solve the issue as well.
>
> In the latest linker sources Alan's added bits to support additional
> linker scripts, instead of replacing the default script.  Then it
> reduces to adding an option to the compile command and I'm sure the
> distro build process can manage that for most packages.

Alan added:

`INSERT [ AFTER | BEFORE ] OUTPUT_SECTION'
     This command is typically used in a script specified by `-T' to
     augment the default `SECTIONS' with, for example, overlays.  It
     inserts all prior linker script statements after (or before)
     OUTPUT_SECTION, and also causes `-T' to not override the default
     linker script.  The exact insertion point is as for orphan
     sections.  *Note Location Counter::.  The insertion happens after
     the linker has mapped input sections to output sections.  Prior to
     the insertion, since `-T' scripts are parsed before the default
     linker script, statements in the `-T' script occur before the
     default linker script statements in the internal linker
     representation of the script.  In particular, input section
     assignments will be made to `-T' output sections before those in
     the default script.  Here is an example of how a `-T' script using
     `INSERT' might look:

I don't think it supports sorting input sections.

BTW, this new feature isn't mentioned in ld/NEWS.

--
H.J.