Re: RFC: Sort input section by list

On Aug 26, 2008, at 9:30 AM, H.J. Lu wrote:

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
Hi H.J.

A generic method which will work with currently installed versions of gcc
and the linker on most linux boxes...
...versus a new, untested feature in the linker, in a version of the
linker
that has not even been released yet.

All linker features were new, untested at one time. It shouldn't be
the reason not to implement/experiment them.

True - but I am trying to avoid feature bloat here. I do not want to add a
new feature to solve a problem that can already be solved using existing
methods.

As Arjan mentioned, it isn't practical to change so many packages to add
section attribute. It doesn't scale with number of packages nor updates
on packages.

FWIW it's a common feature type in a few linkers and quite handy for individual
app owners to use...

-eric