Re: RFC: Change in dwarf2dbg using sizeof_offset

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 08:27:07PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 09:06:39AM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> > The .debug_aranges change will increase its size by 12 bytes per
> > compilation unti.  The .debug_info change increases its size by 4
> > bytes per compilation unit.  I don't see this as a big deal.
> >
> > We aren't talking about changing anything to do with target
> > addresses/offsets.  They are already 64-bit for a 64-bit target even
> > in the current 32-bit dwarf .debug_aranges.
>
> Oh, I see.  That sounds fine if we're only talking about aranges.  You
> confused me by saying "means we can't have a .debug_info section
> larger than 4G" - that offset's the one that takes up a lot of space.

I really did mean .debug_info.  The changes are for
a) the .debug_aranges header, which specifies an offset into
  .debug_info.
b) in .debug_info, the DW_AT_stmt_list entry of DW_TAG_compile_unit
   DIE, which points into .debug_line.

Huh, but now that I look at it again, I see that this only changes
assembler generated .debug_info and .debug_aranges, so there isn't
really any point in making the change.  The windows target would need
to handle compiler generated .debug_info anyway, which presumably
wants to keep 32-bit offsets for size reasons as you point out.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM