Re: RFC: Adding non-PIC executable support to MIPS

Richard Sandiford wrote:
Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:
All comments welcome - Richard, especially from you.  How would you
like to proceed?  I think the first step should be to get your other
binutils/gcc patches merged, including MIPS16 PIC; I used those as a
base.  But see a few of the notes for potential problems with those
patches.

Yeah, Nick's approved most of the remaining binutils changes (thanks). I haven't applied them yet because of the doubt over whether st_size should be even or odd for ISA-encoded MIPS16 symbols. I don't really have an opinion, so I'll accept a maintainerly decision...

[I'm not sure if this is a helpful suggestion or not, so feel free to ignore it if it's not.]

I would suggest that st_size be the actual size of the function, as it lives in memory. A test of it's start/end location is "could I stick a random data byte there and have it affect the function". For example, for a Thumb function whose ISA address is "0x00000001", I would consider for size purposes that it starts at "0x00000000", since altering that byte at run-time would change the meaning of the function.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery