gold vs. BFD handling of relocations

One area which I've noticed gold behaves significantly differently
from the BFD linker is the handling of new relocations emitted that
essentially preempt a given input relocation.

For example, if we emit a dynamic relocation in response to an input
relocation to the same exact location (ie. not a situation like a PLT
reloc where the emitted dynamic reloc is to a different location than
the input reloc on the call instruction), BFD skips the input reloc in
the final relocation processing pass completely whereas gold still
processes the input relocation.

I don't know which is right or whether it matters at all.  What's
the story here?