porting to 18 bit architecture

Hi all,

we have developed an architecture that is not 16 or 32 bit based, but 18 bit.
That means we have 18 bit registers and 18 bit machine words.
We now need an assembler and some binary tools. I would prefer porting the
binutils (the later goal would be to port gcc).
The general question now: Is it possible to port binutils to a machine thats
word length can not be divided by 8 or could we ran into trouble somewhere ?

Thanks in advance,

Lars