Re: objdump --syms output

Hi Nameer,

[Sorry for the delay in replying. I have been on holiday].

before that, there is the section name field. about that field,

Oops, yes, good point.

> btw, can you please tell what does "*ABS*" stands for ?

*ABS* means that the symbol is absolute, ie it is not assigned to a particular section. Most symbols are associated with a section, and their value should be interpreted as being relative to the start of that section. Absolute symbols have no section associated with them and their value is not biased by the start address of any section.

The other fake section name that can occur here is *UND* which means that the symbol is referenced in the file being dumped, but not defined there. Hence the section associated with the symbol (or its absolute-ness) is not known.

           "F"
           "f"
           "O" The  symbol  is  the name of a function (f) or a file (F) or an
               object (O) or just a normal symbol (a space).

I'm not sure about that. compiling that empty-main program yields the main symbol with an "F" flag (obviously main is the name of a function, not a file).

Ah, this would be what is known as a typo. I had the 'F' and 'f' descriptions swapped around. Doh!

I will apply the patch with both of these problems fixed. Thanks very much for raising this point.