Re: porting to GNU GCC from greenhills

Just my 2 cents...

On 9/11/07, Davis, Clayton <cdavis@arete.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to port a program from a green hills MULTI environment
> to gcc. I have successfully compiled to my target platform
> (strongarm1100), but I am having trouble with the linking. I am looking
> for help in making "ld" do "green hills" style linking for my code. I am
> new to linker scripting, but am proficient in C/C++ so any advice or
> direction is appreciated.

Be careful.  I once tried something similar for v850, and to my dismay
the Green Hills ELF was *almost*, but not quite, compatible with
binutils'.  Functionally they were equivalent, but things like the
numbering of relocation types differed between the two toolchains.
Luckily there were also conflicting magic numbers in the file headers,
so I wouldn't accidentally link incompatible file formats (but I was
trying to teach binutils to do so).  I don't know if there's any
transference from that lesson to your situation.  Just a general
"Danger, Will Robinson!" type of note.

Presumably GHS provides some sort of runtime library for your target.
What will you use to replace it (if you in fact need to)?

Good luck.