Re: Relaxation and .debug_loc section

Michael Eager wrote:
There's no way to do that.   The offsets are simple expressions.
The assembler converts them to integer values.

Getting the assembler to emit relocations is straightforward, but the default DWARF encoding for line numbers is not easily relaxable, at least if you have variable-size instructions. The PC and line number offsets are encoded into a state machine, so that if the linker changes some offsets, it probably needs to reencode all the line number info.

Maybe there's some clever way out of that, but you might want to have a look at the DWARF2_USE_FIXED_ADVANCE_PC macro that I added for Xtensa. It tells GAS to use DWARF's fixed_advance_pc opcodes -- they are not as compact as the default but you can put relocations on them so the linker can easily adjust them when relaxation changes offsets.

If you're ever able to contribute the code you wrote to have the linker do relaxation without all the relocations, I'd be quite interested to see it. We're just using lots of relocations for Xtensa, and so far it hasn't been an issue, but I'm curious to see how else you could do it.

--Bob