RE: enable-targets=all fails on cygwin

On 10 July 2007 18:16, NightStrike wrote:

> I downloaded the latest binutils from cvs last night, and today ran:
>
> ../src/configure --enable-targets=all
> make > /dev/null
>
> ...on i686-pc-cygwin.  I received the following error:
>
> ../../src/binutils/bin2c.c: In function `main':
> ../../src/binutils/bin2c.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of
> function `_fileno'
> ../../src/binutils/bin2c.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of
> function `_setmode'
>

> Is enable-targets=all an invalid option on cygwin?  Or am I doing
> something stupid that I don't realize?

  It's not supported on cygwin.  The main issue is that the code for the
output format in the bfd lib is still somewhat hard-wired, and cygwin uses
PE-COFF, which clashes with the ELF format output routines, preventing them
from being combined in a single executable.

  I had a plan to get this working at some stage last summer, but I dropped it
on the floor owing to work pressures; I now think I should pick it back up
over the next month or two when I start to find some spare time.

    cheers,
      DaveK