Re: SVN for src (was Re: Binutils 2.18 prep)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Paul Brook wrote:

> > We create an Subversion directory containing all the top-level files
> > (configure etc.), but with all the subdirectories (gas, gdb etc.)
> > present but *empty*. We then provide a script that does 'svn switch' on
> > each directory required for a given 'module'. This is the inverse of the
> > svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/emptydir idea (see
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SvnSetup "Optimize disk usage").
>
> How does this work with branches and tagging? Do we have to manually (or using
> a script) branch+tag every subdirectory?

You can copy a checkout to a URI.  I know that works for modified and
mixed-revision working copies; if it works for switched working copies,
you'd get a branch or tag replicating that copy (so with binutils only if
it was a checkout switched to be a binutils-only checkout, for example).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com