Re: ld maps sections without consider memory region?

Hi Daniel,

This is because you have not defined the program headers for your executable, so the linker has created one. Since on the MIPS pages are 0x10000 in size the linker creates just one segment to contain both the .begin and the .tail sections.

Do you think the linker should be combining across explicit MEMORY regions? I'm not sure how hard it would be to stop it, but it does seem unuseful.

"unuseful" ? :-)

Yes it would make sense to break segments up on memory region boundaries. Alternatively we could check region sizes against page sizes in case multiple regions fit into a single page and issue a warning message if explicit program headers have not been specified. (After all the user might want multiple regions to be combined into a single segment).

Maybe some kind soul will volunteer to do this...