Re: [RFC] ARM merging symbols bugs

Hi Paul,

I can see two possible solutions to this:

1) Change the ARM code to always use STT_FUNC, and represent Thumbness some other way. This would require a moderate amount of work in elf32-arm.c, and a fair chance of breaking something in the process. I don't know if there's any convenient place to hang the type annotation onto the symbol.

2) Add elf backend hooks for symbol_type_conflicts and is_function_symbol. Fairly easy to implement and a very low chance of breaking everything, but introduces uglyness into the generic ELF code.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I like option 2. Restricting functions to just one symbol type seems to be rather mean to me. Allowing backends to support multiple function symbol types will probably help more ports than just the ARM.