how to optimize my binutils compilation

Hi,

I am not sure if it is the correct place to ask this,
so I apologize if it is off-topic.

I have Ubuntu linux and I am trying to install Linux
from scratch (LFS).
I have a pc with intel 686 cpu.
I have gcc 4.1.2 20060928 (prerelease)

For this I first have to install binutils.

I follow instructions from page :
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/binutils-pass1.html

So I downloaded the latest binutils from gnu.org
directory. It is version 2.17.50.0.9.

Then I created binutils-build directory.

Then I run :
configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
make
make install

It creates a huge library file :
-rw-r--r-- 1 lfs lfs  4717022 Jan 21 15:08 libbfd.a

It compiled many stuff like vxwork, which isnt usefull
here I guess, so I wonder why this is done.

When I look at config.log, I get those errors :
configure:2192: checking whether compiler driver
understands Ada
configure:2224: checking how to compare bootstrapped
objects
configure:2344: checking for correct version of gmp.h
configure:2357: gcc -c -g -O2   conftest.c 1>&5
configure:2347:17: error: gmp.h: No such file or
directory
configure: In function 'main':
configure:2351: error: 'choke' undeclared (first use
in this function)
configure:2351: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
configure:2351: error: for each function it appears
in.)
configure:2351: error: expected ';' before 'me'
configure: failed program was:
#line 2346 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

I think these are minor errors because compilation
works ok.

My aim is to have optimized compilation for the
target. And I am not sure if I applied correct
options...

Thanks in advance

BR, Amine

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com