Re: Sgi-style and traditional-style elf format used by mips

Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de> writes:

> Fu, He Wei PSE NKG wrote:
> > Are there anyone know the detailed difference between "sgi-style" and
> > "traditional-style" elf format used by mips,or where can find relevent
> > document of them?? Thanks in advance.
>
> I'm afraid there is no such document. "traditional" stems AFAIK from
> a format compatible enough to the original MIPS RiscOS, while "sgi"
> strives for compatibility with the SGI IRIX toolchain. Linux adopted
> the "traditional" format some years ago because it is closer to the
> ELF variants supported by the GNU toolchain on other architectures.

"Traditional" is the format specified in the original MIPS ELF
Processor Supplement.  "SGI" is the format specified in a series of
documents produced at SGI.  The SGI documents do describe the
differences between the formats.  Unfortunately I only have the SGI
documents on paper, not electronically, and they are buried in a box
somewhere.

Ian