gprof issue shared libraries?

I -pg in my compiler and used -lc_p in my linker flags.

I built a package that is composed of shared libraries and
applications and installed it. It puts some libraries in my shared
library path. Now when ever I run a program, with this packages shared
libraries in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH I get
/path/to/program: relocation error: /path/to/lib.so: symbol
__pthread_kill_other_threads_np, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in
file libpthread.so.0 with link time reference
This error does not occur with just -pg, it only occurs after I add
-lc_p to my linker flags.

I am not sure what is going on? Is this a problem with gprof, glibc, or gcc?

Also, the gprof manual says I should link with /lib/gcrt0.o, I don't
have this library, do I need to get it? Should I use something else in
it's place?

Thank you for your time,
James Steven Supancic III