Re: Patch to update top-level config to autoconf 2.59

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 02:02:46PM -0700, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> > Why was the AS_FOR_TARGET change necessary?
>
> Because autoconf 2.59 gave an error if I didn't change the name.
>
> | [hpsje] $ autoconf
> | configure.in:2299: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_FOR_TARGET
> |       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
> |       See the Autoconf documentation.
>
> It looked like the common fix for this was to rename it to
> GAS_FOR_TARGET.  I see that all these files are shared, I didn't realise
> that.  I thought that GCC was already configuring everything with 2.59
> but I see they still use 2.13 for the toplevel configure and have the
> same configure.in (and Makefiles) as the src tree.  Oh well.

The problem is that it doesn't necessarily have to be gas - it could be
the native assembler.  GCC has:

  m4_pattern_allow([AS_FOR_TARGET])dnl

So it's probably better (and a smaller patch) to just do that.

> Yes, I expect so.  I guess this last bit will have to wait for a while.

Hopefully, not much longer.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery